Monday, July 8, 2013

Beets, where have you been all my life?


I think it's safe to say that the majority of people I know do not like beets. In fact, I think the word despise even comes to mind. I too used to want nothing to do with these ruby red roots. They had a bitter taste and the consistency freaked me out. However, times have changed. I now eat these bad boys a few times a week. It's not necessarily that my taste buds changed, but once I became aware of the health benefits I said to myself I WILL LIKE THEM. 

I use them the most in my smoothies or juices. It's a great way to reap the benefits but not have to eat them whole. They are also great on salads. Just take some spinach, walnuts, goat cheese and then add some beets in there- killer. I now love the taste of beets and never thought that would happen. So, give it a shot as they are insanely good for your bod. Give yourself time to get used to the taste.

So for all of you beet haters out there, check out these amazing health benefits below and try to slowly incorporate them into your life! 

Low in calories
Stimulates liver function
Rich in fiber, vitamin c, magnesium, iron
Boosts energy
Reduces cholesterol & triglycerides
Anti-inflammatory
Natural colon cleanser
Rich in potassium
Purifier for the blood
Lessens tumor cell growth
Immune system booster
Contains betacyanins which counteract cancer
Promotes digestive tract health
 
Inspired yet? As you can see, the benefits are endless...


If there is a time when you bite into that beet and immediately want to spew it out, hopefully this list will be imprinted in your head (or at least on your fridge) and change your mind :) They really do grow on you and can be so beneficial to your health and wellness path.




No comments:

Post a Comment