Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Fish Taco Tuesday!

Sure, it's fun to go to a local restaurant to hit up the Taco Tuesday specials. Who doesn't like doing that? However, why not change it up and create your own Taco Tuesday extravaganza at home?! I have the world's BEST fish taco recipe. I stole it from my sister Tara, added a few of my own variations and have been in love ever since. If you really want to impress someone, even if it's yourself, you MUST make these crazy delicious tacos! 

Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you away. I used to immediately turn away from recipes where the ingredients seemed to go on for days. However, with this recipe there's a good chance the majority of these ingredients are already at your casa :)


What you need:
1 tbs of honey
1/2 cup of Coconut oil
S&P
1/4 tbs Garlic salt
1 tsp of Sriracha 
 1/ tsp Red pepper flakes
1/4 cup of Cilantro
1/2 cup of purple cabbage
Queso Fresco
Light sour cream
1 mango
Salsa of your choice
2 eggs 
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 tbs of lime juice
2 cups of Panko bread crumbs
1 cup of Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
Corn tortillas
Cod or tilapia

You can use cod or tilapia for these tacos. I use cod more often but they are both great so whatever suits your fancy. I usually just buy them frozen because you get more bang for your buck. They have a pack of four at Trader J's for about $7 and if you are making it for two people, you will have leftovers for the next day as they come in a 4-pack.

Step 1: The day before I plan on making the tacos, I take them out of the freezer to thaw. When they are thawed I put them in a Ziploc bag with the marinade.


 Step 2: For the marinade, you throw in the honey, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, splash of water, 1/2 cup of coconut oil (liquified), pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix it all around so it's evenly coated and leave it in the fridge to soak up the goodness.
 You can marinate it as long as you want but I usually let it sit for about six hours. 

Step 3: Preheat the oven to 350.


Step 4: Grab three bowls and fill with flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs. 

 
*You can use any type of flour you want. However, for those of you who have gluten allergies or are just trying to limit your intake, this flour is amazing*
  
Step 5: One by one, coat the fish in the flour, dip in the egg mixture and then cover them in bread crumbs.  

Step 6: Transfer the fish to a cookie sheet (make sure it's been coated with non-stick spray!)

Step 7: Bake for about 10-15 minutes. Ovens vary so I would check on it after 10 min to be safe. 


Step 8: While the fish is cooking chop up the cabbage, cilantro and mango. 
Add the diced mango to the salsa or set aside separately, your choice :)


*For this cheese it sort of breaks apart into little pieces very easily which is perfect so you just need to put it in a bowl*

Step 9: Make the Special Sauce: Lime juice, Sriracha, salt, pepper and sour cream.


 *I love cooking tortillas on the stove as opposed to just heating them up because they are crunchy and add so much more to the taco*

Step 10: Turn the heat on medium and add some canola oil. Once hot cook the tortillas individually, flipping each a few times until it reaches your desirable crunch level. 
I usually put a napkin down on the plate. As I cook each tortilla, I put a napkin in between each one to soak up some of the oil.


Step 11: Take the fish out and cut into thin slices so it fits perfectly in your taco. Put a layer of special sauce down first, followed by the fish, cabbage, queso fresco, mango salsa, cilantro and some more special sauce to top it off. 


Look how purty it looks! Tastes even better :) 


**One last thing I have to mention is whenever I make these tacos, I always cook some of the tortillas longer to where it's almost stiff-like. Then I put cinnamon sugar all over it and cut it into pieces. It's a delicious, low-maintenance dessert!


Pair these tacos with your favorite margarita or light beer and it's a no-brainer.
Heaven on earth. Watermelon-jalapeƱo Margaritas?! Yes. These are to die for! Recipe found here

Enjoy your own Taco Tuesday Extravaganza!! 

***Feel free to email me if you should have any questions or need to ad-lib a bit and I'd be happy to help you!

1 comment: