Saturday, March 1, 2014

Spaghetti Squash & Chicken Meat-a-ball-za!

I love pasta. I do. However, I never allow myself to have it because not only is it full of empty calories but it tends to make me feel heavy and sluggish afterwards. No bueno. 

The solution? 

Spaghetti Sqaush. 

Yup. 

Spaghetti squash is the perfect way to get your pasta fix and will leave you wanting to do cartwheels, not pass out. 

I topped the spaghetti squash with chicken meatballs, veggies and some homemade sauce (for the most part). It was delish. 

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
2 large broccoli florets
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup onions
1/2 cup parsley
1 tsp crushed garlic 
1 jar of tomato sauce ( I used Gina Rispoli-GF, organic, all natural)
1 package of meatballs ( they can be turkey or chicken-whichever you prefer)
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
shredded parmesan cheese  
Himalayan pink salt
fresh ground pepper


*Pre-heat oven to 375. Cut spaghetti squash in half. Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Put it in for about 40 minutes



Cut up all the veggies, drizzle them with olive oil (or coconut oil) and salt n pepper. Roast them for about 20 minutes or so.


I threw the mushrooms and the meatballs in a pan with a little olive oil and sauteed them. The meatballs were already cooked so it was just to warm them up. Mushrooms cook really fast so I didn't want to throw them in with the other veggies.


For the sauce, I just threw the can of tomato sauce in a pan. I added the garlic, onion, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and lots of pepper. You can add anything you want to the sauce and just do a taste test to see what it needs!

***

When the spaghetti squash is done, let it cool for a little bit so you don't burn the crap out of your hand. Then take a fork to the sides of it and slowly pull it apart. If it's done, it should come right out. 


Put a scoop of the spaghetti squash on a plate, add the veggies, the meatballs, parsley followed by some parmesan cheese. 


Enjoy!












1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmm have to try that, I actually just bought a spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete