Sunday, May 26, 2013

A quick at-home core workout!

This morning I definitely woke up with that "I have to get my butt to the gym ASAP so I can get home, shower and get a good spot on the beach" type of mindset. I am a big believer in being able to get a not only decent but intense calorie-burning workout in, anywhere you are. Is it easier in some places verses others? Of course. However, there are some days when you just don't feel like leaving the house to get your sweat on. 

Today was a perfect example of this. I had plans to go for an early morning run and was just not feeling it. You've been there, right? So, instead of skipping it completely and feeling guilty all day long, Greg and I decided to create our own workout at home. We did this together which really helps. If you have someone pushing you, it's amazing how much harder you push yourself. He's tough on me (which I need!) so I always know I will get those calories burned and that I will push my limits which is key for long term goal accomplishments.


It took us about 45 minutes and all you need is a medicine ball ( any weight but ours is 8 lbs which is not too heavy but still a challenge) and a large fitness ball. We used my yoga mat for extra comfort but if you have carpet you don't even need it. 


***


*We did 10 sets of 20 pushups. We started with these and would do a set in between every exercise. I HATE pushups with a burning passion. I whine like a two year old after every set. However, the benefits outweigh the pain. I guess? :) You don't have to do 200 but if you can get in 100 a few times a week- results are a given*


 Start with the ball behind your head, lying on your back
Do a situp and press the ball directly above your head towards the sky
 Repeat and do 3 sets of 20
Simple and highly effective


For this you exercise you need a partner
Start lying down on your back with your hands stretched out behind your head
Your legs are straight
Have your partner hold the ball three feet above your stomach
At the same time you do a situp, reach your arms up towards the ball, raise your legs up and squeeze the ball so your partner can release the ball in your feet for a count of four
Repeat and do 3 sets of 20 

Starting position is lying on your back
 Legs extended, arms straight over your head
Place the fitness ball between your feet
Raise your legs with the ball so it's directly above you
At the same time, do a situp with your hands meeting the ball
Transfer the ball from between your feet to your hands
Bring the ball directly above your head to the ground behind you
Then sit up and bring the ball back to your feet
Repeat and do 3 sets of 20
 This one killlllls so if you feel like you may die, that's normal. Carry on.


You need a partner for this one too
Start in the upright sitting position with your legs bent
Have your partner throw the ball across your body 
Catch it, rotating and then rotating to throw it back
Repeat and do 3 sets of 20

We finished up with our last set of pushups and it was an a** kicking workout. You would never know it but it's efficient, tough and gets the job done. 

Abs aching, legs shaking and heart pounding...now we can have some fun!


***

Happy Sunday!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment