Monday, May 6, 2013

To say the mind quits a thousand times before the body does is a serious understatement


My boyfriend and I ran the La Jolla Half Marathon this past Sunday and holy cow was it an adventure. This was my third half marathon and every time I seem to block out how much it hurts. I truly understand what "pushing yourself to the max" means and it was demonstrated on Sunday. There were so many times throughout the race when I wanted to quit, slow down and even just stop for some much needed H2O. However, I had a goal. A goal I was not going to put in the "didn't reach" category. I was tired, my knee was throbbing and even after inhaling my vanilla goo for an added jolt of energy, my mind was trying to tell me I had enough. It began to feel like a fight between my body and my mind. Thankfully, I was able to allow my body to have the last word finishing in under two hours.. 1:57 to be exact :) I never thought that was possible. Your body can do so much more than you could ever imagine. It blows my mind. There is no better feeling than training for something for so long and coming across that finish line. It's indescribable. I keep trying to recreate that moment in my head, to feel that amazing feeling of triumph just once more. It's a beautiful feeling!



 

1 comment: