Monday, May 6, 2013

Amazingly tasty KALE chips...say whaaat?!


Kale Kale Kale. Where do I begin? Kale and I have had what I would categorize as a "rocky" relationship. When I first heard about kale and the numerous health benefits associated with it, I thought hell yes, bring on the kale. I am all about staying informed and updated on the latest and greatest health research that comes out. I'm always learning and feel you can reach your highest potential of internal greatness by continuing to introduce your body to new glorious foods! So back to Kale, I started replacing my romaine/spinach leaves for this new vegetable and to be honest I wasn't very impressed. I wanted to like it SO bad but I really just wanted to regurgitate it back in the bowl. I mean I felt like I might as well take a stroll down to the park, take a huge bite out of the nearest bush or plant and start chewing. Now that may seem a bit dramatic, yes, but I really want you to understand how much I was NOT a fan of this leafy vegetable. 

However, just like pretty much everything else, I wanted to give it a chance. I realized that it was going to take some time to get used to kale and I thought why not add it to things so I'm not just eating it "straight" at least until I can allow myself to acquire a taste for it. I started adding it to my smoothies/juices which is an amazing way to reap the benefits and it's not such a harsh taste. I began to see various recipes for kale chips so I began to experiment on my own. I came up with this simple but tasty recipe you have got to try. It has the right amount of spice and crunch-perfect mix.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Grab a bunch of kale (wash first of course!) and break up into little pieces. Make sure it's completely dry and then add a little olive, some sea salt, as much fresh ground pepper as you desire, paprika (or red pepper flakes) and any other type of seasoning you like. I LOVE 21 Seasoning from Trader Joe's. It has everything you could possibly imagine in one bottle. You can use it on anything and everything not just the ole kale chips so I highly recommend it. I believe it's about $1.49 a bottle and worth every "sprinkle"...


OK, lo siento I got sidetracked. A little trick I like to use when coating things with seasonings/oil is I like to put it in Tupperware, put the top on and shake it up. It's the best way to make sure everything is evenly coated with the goodness. Finally, lay it out on the parchment paper and bake for about 10-15 minutes. I try and grab these for a snack during the day instead of chips or crackers. Enjoy these crunchy delights! 


PS I am now a huge fan of Kale salads. It just took a little time to fully embrace this nutritious powerhouse.
 

2 comments: