Friday, May 31, 2013

A Chicken Curry and Rice Delight

I never used to be a curry fan. In fact, I think I had tried it maybe twice in my life up until about a year ago when my mom blessed me with this amazing chicken curry experience. And yes, it's an experience.
It's super easy, healthy and tastes ridiculous. The best part about this recipe is when it's finished it looks really fancy and complex and is a great way to show off ;) It's also a great way to introduce curry into your life as it has many nutritional benefits. Want to boost your brain power? Need antioxidants? If you need some more convincing that frequent intake of curry is beneficial to your health, click here.




So, what do you need?

 1) Chicken - you can either bake the chicken, cook it on the stove or even get one of those amazing already cooked chickens at the store. Whatever floats your boat.

2) Roasted vegetables- you can use any veggies you want but I use sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and bell peppers. I think they all go well together. I usually cut them all up in small pieces (but not diced) and throw them on a cookie sheet. Add some chopped onions, minced garlic and drizzle olive oil, salt n peppa and any other seasonings you can't live without. I usually cook it for about 25 minutes, however, I would just continue to check on them as it really depends on how you like your veggies.
3) Rice- I use Biryani rice from Trader Joes. It's in the frozen section and is fat free and has no MSG - hooray! You can also use brown rice but I think the Biryani makes it.
4) Curry Sauce- Trader Joe's curry sauce is off the charts. They have yellow or red and either of these sauces will rock your world.
5) Extras- Cilantro, light sour cream, Sriracha and mango chutney.
* Once the chicken is cooked, break it up into pieces and throw it into a pan with the cooked rice and veggies. Pour the bottle of curry in and mix it all together. Cook on low for a few minutes or until it's heated all the way through. Add some fresh cilantro, a small dollop of LIGHT sour cream, some Sriracha for added spice and finish it off with a scoop of mango ginger chutney.

*Add some garlic naan bread to really add an extra special touch. It takes about 2 minutes to heat up in the oven. This is by far one of my favorite carb treats! *
*The finished product. Make this for your significant other, friends or family and they will be highly impressed and forever grateful. Enjoy this savory and spicy dish!!*

2 comments:

  1. definitely a favorite!!!!! for the ultimate carb splurge you can't forget the frozen garlic naan bread at trader joes that takes 1 minute to heat up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have forgotten that?! I almost always have the naan bread. It's a must. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete