Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Organic Gluten Free Quinoa Rice & Shine

As you can probably tell, I'm on a gluten-free kick lately. I just feel SO much better when I limit my intake. I've been trying different products here and there and came across this hot cereal I loved and had to share. The texture and taste actually reminds me of grits which I'm sure you've all heard of. I had no idea grits even existed until I spent four years of college in Alabama where I became quite familiar with this Southern breakfast staple. 

As I continue to mention, variety is so incredibly vital to sticking with your healthy lifestyle. If you have the same things all the time, you are more likely to stray and grab something that has little or no nutritional value. So I am always looking for new additions and trying to mix/match where I can because I get bored very easily. This hot cereal is not something I would normally flock to, however, my mom actually bought it for me to try out and I was pleasantly surprised. It takes about 5 minutes to make on the stove and is filling and warm which is always nice first thing in the a.m. There are only two ingredients which are organic whole grain brown rice grits and organic quinoa flakes. I try to stick by the rule of anything that has more than 5-6 ingredients is no bueno. Obviously, it's a situational, give or take type of rule as well. But I've found that in a majority of situations, more ingredients = more processed foods, sugary additions, etc. Also, if you don't recognize a lot of the ingredients, don't buy it. It's probably crap. Just my personal opinion...


This takes 5 minutes and all you need is: 
Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Quinoa Rice & Shine
1 tsp raw honey
1/4 tsp of coconut oil
a few heavy dashes of cinnamon(cinnamon rocks my world, hence the emphasis on heavy)
some fresh blueberries


*You can find most Arrowhead Mills products at Whole Foods, Sprouts or Jimbo's*


*The 5 minute finished product*


*Vanilla Spice Perfect Energy Yogi Tea*

No comments:

Post a Comment